My ThinkPad T460 is a decent linux laptop, however, due to the notorious support service of Lenovo, it seems that I have to but update the BIOS in a Windows environment.
After some googling, here is how to update the bios for a thinkpad with just a usb drive.
- Download the Bootable CD iso file,
r06uj54d.isoin my case, it is actually a iso file, you can see that from the link, but somehow showed as a exe file.
Do not use the latest
r06uj55d.iso, for it is not supported by the geteltorito tool, and you will get this message:
This data image does not seem to be a bootable CD-image
Probably, the notorious Lenovo tries to kill this method with this update.
- Get the geteltorito tool, you can either download the perl srcipt from here, or simply install it from the ubuntu repo:
sudo apt-get install genisoimage
- Convert the iso file to a img file:
geteltorito -o bios.img r06uj54d.iso
- Dump the img file to a USB drive:
sudo dd if=bios.img of=/dev/sdb
Do not unplug the USB drive and reboot, when the Lenovo logo appears press F12, choose the USB drive to boot;
- In the BIOS update “system”, follow the instructions and after several reboots, you are good to go.